Mar 18, 2010

Stop Domestic Vioence!

"This was my first sewing project produced after taking a costume class for my Theater Arts minor at Stony Brook. I am a Women'Studies major and used that background  as well as personal references to inspire the design of my vest. The colors (gold, white and purple ) of the suffrage movement were used as part of the theme to represent the struggles women face and how they are able to overcome those struggles.  The face of a woman crying was painted on the front of the vest to symbolize the pain and embarrassment women deal with when they experience domestic violence. This topic is personal to me because I grew up in a household in which domestic violence was present and this has caused me to take a strong stance against it. The back of the vest is black and covered with gold lace to represent the cover up that women often do when they are in violent relationships. A beautiful constructed shield (lace) covers deep dark painful emotions and physical wounds (black fabric underneath).There is also a purple ribbon that is secured with a custom gold-headed pin to the vest. The purple ribbon is the ribbon that is used to raise awareness of domestic violence." 


By Krystle DeSantos


No comments:

Post a Comment