Mar 18, 2010

“The Mane”

Black power my sister!
Black power!
The words echo over and over,
Black BLACK black BlAcK.
POWER power Power PoWeR.
The meaning has become empty to me,
Just a phrase you see,
To define, minimize, and categorize the woman I’m destined to be,
I’ve never been one to fall into a niche,
Which to me in essence is a disease-filled, poison-infested,
and unkept ditch,
“Grab the switch”
They assumed my mother beat Me
To teach me
The real me
To help me gain an appreciation of the simple things
The wiser things
and the kinder things
They assume I light incense while listening to that conscious music and quoting black heroes,
Little do they know that I’m a dedicated Lost, Heroes,
and Desperate Housewives junkie,
That I don’t just listen to Barrington Levy but I dabble in a little Britney you see,
I find meaning in all things,
That life brings,
In the music that I sing,
And in the church bells that ring,
DING DING!
The timer goes off,
Time to stop the treatment of my devilish perm,
Blowing out the new growth is the way to go,
GASP!!!
Little do they know,
My hair did not always grow,
Into this dynamic fro,
That makes me shimmer and glow,
Just remember it doesn’t define me, yuh know…
By Zola Kai Pollard

No comments:

Post a Comment